Sunday, January 24, 2010

Steeleye Span - All Around My Hat (England 1975) @320

.
Recorded at Air Studios, London, July '75. Produced by Mike Batt, the man responsible for all the hits by The Wombles. At first he seemed a weird choice for Steeleye, but Tim had been impressed by the quality and imagination in the Wombles' recordings. Batt worked extremely fast, and added strings to Steeleye for the first time. The result was the most commercial album they made, a best-seller in Britain that brought in their first Gold Disc. It included the hit single All Around My Hat, which reached No. 3 in the British charts in December '75. This was originally an english song, which years ago was `stolen' by the IRA and turned into an Irish rebel song.
Apart from the chorus, the verses were in fact taken from the song Farewell He. The album also contained the excellent The Wife of Ushers Well and the stirring Hard Times of Old England (which deserved to be another hit single, but the lyrics were perhaps too realistically gloomy for the pre-punk area). Also included was one of Steeleye's best harmony tracks, Cadgwith Anthem, which has a subtle brass section creeping in on the unaccompanied singing.

01. Black Jack Davy (4.15)
02. Hard Times of Old England (5.10)
03. Cadgwith Anthem (2.45)
04. All Around My Hat (4.06)
05. Gamble Gold (Robin Hood) (3.40)
06. The Wife of Ushers Well (4.32)
07. Sum Waves (Tunes) (4.00)
08. Dance With Me (3.51)
09. Bachelor's Hall (5.45)

Maddy Prior: vocals
Tim Hart: vocals, guitar, dulcimer
Robert Johnson: guitar, vocals
Rick Kemp: bass, vocals
Peter Knight: violin
Nigel Pegrum: drums, flute

9 comments:

mmagus said...

It's very impressive that you continue to maintain the same high standard of presentation, with complete notes and tracklists. Congratulations! And many thanks.

Stephen D. Sullivan said...

It's interesting that this album seems to have two different track orders. There's the one you have, which I have on CD, and then the one from the vinyl album, which I also had -- and which is listed in wikipedia, here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Around_My_Hat_(album)

I've always been curious as to why, though I prefer the order listed in wiki.

Aqualung said...

Thanks a lot for this album. I've downloaded some of their CDs but couldn't find this one!I think I still prefer Fairport Convention (I wrote about them in the blog I just started by the way) but Steeleye Span are great too. By the way, have you heard the rare version of All Around My Hat (the song)?

CrimsonKing said...

Ehh Aqualung ...
Both are great groups, but I like Steeley Span much more.
Are you talking about "All Around My Hat" played by Status Quo with Maddy Prior?
A cool arrangement!

Aqualung said...

Actually I guess so, I downloaded it from a CD called Rare Collection 1972-1996, but I just youtubed the status quo version and it's the same one, so you were right!

I'm still discovering Steeleye Span though, so my opinion isn't final... but yeah, both bands rock =)

CrimsonKing said...

Your nickname is because of the band Jethro Tull?
If yes, download the Maddy Prior album "Woman in the Wings" with a lot of Tull members, including a Ian Anderson participation. Very good.

Aqualung said...

Yep, Jethro Tull indeed. Ok, I'll search and download it right now, I'm very curious. I must say, thanks for everything, I've already downloaded about 15 albums from this blog and I'm loving them so far (listened to the two Sourdeline ones, great stuff). By the way, I think (internet is playing tricks on me) I sent you a mail, but just in case... have you heard of Camerata Meiga?

CrimsonKing said...

NEW LINK:

All Around My Hat


Password: folkyourself.blogspot.com
.

dondo said...

Thanks

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers