Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Dick Gaughan - Handful of Earth (Scotland 1981) @320


This was the first album I had recorded in Scotland. For some reason, it seemed to strike a chord with people and it is the most succesful recording I have made in terms of acclaim and sales.

It was Melody Maker's Album of the Year in 1981 and in 1989 it was voted in the Critics' Poll, and more important to me, the Readers' Poll, in Folk Roots as Album of the Decade. I have had hundreds of reviews, good and bad, and I pay little attention to them. But when the actual people you're playing to confer an honour like that upon you, you shed the odd tear of thanks that you've been privileged to be able to do something which means something to them.

Why they voted it such was a complete mystery to me then and still is today. As a friend of mine says, "Never ask one of the actors what they thought of the play".


01 - Erin-Go-Bragh
02 - Now Westlin Winds
03 - Craigie Hill
04 - World Turned Upside Down (Rosselson M-S)
05 - The Snows They Melt the Soonest
06 - Lough Erne-First Kiss at Parting
07 - Scojun Waltz-Randers Hopsa
08 - Song for Ireland (Colclough)
09 - Workers' Song
10 - Both Sides the Tweed (Pickford M-S)

Dick Gaughan: Vocal, Guitars
Brian McNeill: Fiddle, acoustic bass
Stuart Isbister: Bass
Phil Cunningham: Keyboard, Whistle


11 comments:

CrimsonKing said...

.
Handful of Earth (RS)
or
Handful of Earth (MF)

Password: folkyourself.blogspot.com
.

nzguy said...

Many thanks for the post.

Do you have "Sail On" by any chance?

CrimsonKing said...

Yes, I will post it soon.
:)

Paul said...

One of his best...

Anonymous said...

I'm very grateful for this.

Anonymous said...

Excellent. I had this on vinyl,but had forgotten just how good it is! Thank you.

Arioso said...

This is a wonderful album - a remarkable combination of great singing, songwriting and instrumentals. I think fans of Richard Shindell (as I am) would love this album and vice versa.

Thanks for sharing.

dugg said...

one of the finest records ever made, by an artist who sets a high bar for talent, integrity and skill onstage.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I'm looking forward to listening to this one.

CrimsonKing said...

NEW LINK:

Handful of Earth


Password: folkyourself.blogspot.com
.

Anonymous said...

Many, many thanks.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Followers